Planning and researching before a visit to a theme park can save a lot of time in the parks. Today I am sharing Universal Studios height requirements, ride/attraction scare factor, and the best age to visit the park.
This post contains affiliate links. Learn more here.
Universal Studios Florida is one of the parks at the Universal Orlando Resort theme parks. It has different areas dedicated to different entertainment in films, TV, and books.
Universal’s Islands of Adventure is the other main theme park, they also have Volcano Bay which is a water park. Click here is you are looking for information on the Walt Disney World parks.
Islands of Adventure has the following rides and attractions:
Incredible Hulk Coaster, Harry Potter Wizarding World of Harry Potter which include Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Hagrid’s Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure, and more.
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls, Dr. Doom’s Fearfall, and a Dr. Seuss area that included One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train ride, and the Cat and the Hat.
Read more: Guide to Islands of Adventure Height Requirements and Ride Scare Factor.
For this article we are sharing about Universal Studios Florida and what to expect for minimum height requirements, child swap options, and if the ride is good for older kids or small children, or both.
There is something for all ages to enjoy but, it helps to know the Universal Studios height requirements and what is the best age to visit with your kids.
At Universal Studios you will find a themed Simpson area, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, a KidZone with play areas(closed January 2023), as well as other family friendly attractions. It is easy to put together a Universal Studios itinerary that fits your family!
One thing to keep in mind is that Universal height requirements exist for safety reasons and should be taken seriously. If you have questions during your visit a team member is available to help.
Check out our partners for the best deals on theme park tickets, hotels, and attractions to save money on your trip! Theme park tickets, resorts, and car rentals check out Undercover Tourist .
Are you visiting a city and want to research hotels? Check out Booking.com. City attraction and theme park tickets check out CityPass
Universal Studios Height Requirements at a Glance
In summer of 2023 there will be a brand new attraction for families. Villain-Con Minion Blast will open this summer at Universal Studios Florida and I expect it to be a great option for guests of all ages. More details coming soon.
No Height Requirement. Under 48″ Must Ride with an Adult.
- Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl– No Height Requirement, Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
- The Hogwarts™ Express – King’s Cross Station – No Height Requirement, Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
Must Be 34″. Under 48″ Must Ride with an Adult.
- E.T. Adventure– Must be 34″, Under 48″ must be accompanied by an adult.
Must Be 36″. Under 48″ Must Ride with an Adult.
- Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster– Must be 36″, Under 48″ must be accompanied by an adult. (CLOSED)
Must Be 40″. Under 48″ Must Ride with an Adult.
- Despicable Me Minion Mayhem– Must be 40″ or taller. Under 48″ must ride with an adult. Those under 40″ may ride on the stationary seats.
- Fast & Furious – Supercharged– Must be 40″ or taller. Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
- The Simpsons Ride– Must be 40″ or taller. Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
- TRANSFORMERS: The Ride-3D– Must be 40″ or taller. Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
- Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon– Must be 40″ or taller. Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
Must Be 42″. Under 48″ Must Ride with an Adult.
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts– Must be 42″ or taller. Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
- MEN IN BLACK™ Alien Attack– Must be 42″ or taller. Under 48″ must ride with an adult.
Must Be 48″.
- Revenge of the Mummy– Must be 48″ to ride.
Must Be 51″ and not exceed 79″.
- Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit– Must be between 51″ and 79″
Related Post: Best Rides at Universal Studios
Universal Studios Attraction Scare Factor
Universal Studios is an awesome park and the majority of rides and attractions are great for kids 40″ and up. The theme park offers entertainment and attractions designed for families of all ages.
Every family and every kid is different and you should consider the needs of your family when planning your visit.
My kids do not like the Halloween scares, like skeletons and surprises, and for that reason we waited to ride The Mummy until they were ready.
They have no problem with Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts even though that may frighten some children.
Some attractions require a supervising companion for small children and most of the thrill rides offer child swap options for those not waning to ride.
It is always a good idea to familiarize your family with the characters from the rides before your visit. My kids love all things Harry Potter and Super Heroes so they are not frightened by the Harry Potter attractions.
I created my own scale to explain what to expect when visiting, 1 being not scary at all and 5 being scary for most kids.
Not Scary At All
- Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl– Dumbo like ride, Not Scary At All (1)
- The Hogwarts™ Express – King’s Cross Station– Train Ride, Not Scary at All (2)
- E.T. Adventure– Dark Ride, May be a bit scary if you are not familiar with E.T. (2)
- Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster– Kiddie Coaster, Not Scary (1)
- Despicable Me Minion Mayhem– Simulator ride, Not Scary (1)
- Fast & Furious – Supercharged– Not scary at all. (2)
- Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon– Simulator Ride, Not Scary (1)
- The Simpsons Ride– Simulator Ride about The Simpsons. (1)
- Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit– Intense Roller Coaster (5)
- TRANSFORMERS: The Ride-3D– Comic Book Violence, Indoor 3D ride, (3)
Halloween Like Scares
- Revenge of the Mummy– Indoor roller coaster themed to the Mummy movies. (4)
- MEN IN BLACK™ Alien Attack– Not Scary Alien shooting ride (2)
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts– Indoor roller coaster themed to Harry Potter (4)
Best Age to Visit Universal Studios
There is so much to do at Universal Studios that even the younger ones can have a blast. They have a splash area and places for kids that may not meet the height requirements for some attractions.
If you are planning a one time visit I would suggest your child is at least 42″. That allows them to ride the majority of the attractions and really take advantage of the park.
The scare factor is also a little less at Universal Studios as opposed to Islands of Adventure.
It is important to consider the height requirements, scare factor, and temperament of your child when deciding what attractions to ride at Universal Studios.
The good news is once you arrive there are other ways to enjoy the park.
We love spending time exploring Diagon Alley, meeting our favorite characters, and enjoying the food and shows. Universal Orlando resort is a great place to spend a theme park vacation for families of all ages.