Are you planning a Disney World vacation and wondering what are FastPass at Disney World? Today I am going to share all the Disney FastPass secrets, tips for your fastpass reservations and the FastPass tiers at Disney World to help you plan your best Disney World vacation.
This post may contain affiliate links.
UPDATE: Disney has retired FastPass at the Disney Parks. Read Disney World 7 Day Itinerary Planning Guide for all the best planning tips for your Disney World vacation.
If this is your first visit to Disney World, this information may seem a bit overwhelming. I promise once you go through the steps it is easy and will save you so much time at the parks.
Most of the set-up is done before you get to the parks. Doing research and setting up your account before your arrival will ensure less waiting in lines at the parks and maximize your family time.
Disney FastPass Secrets
To get started with making your Disney World FastPass reservations you need to start with a My Disney Experience Account. You can set this up on a computer or download the app to your phone. The steps to do this are below.
I prefer to initially set it up on my computer, but this is a personal preference and both work great. After I have set-up my account I will sign in on the app as well.
First I want to share an overview of the frequently asked questions about Disney Fastpass.
What is a FastPass at Walt Disney World
FastPass at Walt Disney World is an attraction reservation system that allows guests to reserve their place in line before they arrive at the park. You will be given a reservation window for when you can ride the attraction.
How Much Does FastPass at Disney World Cost
FastPass at Disney World is free to all guests with a park ticket.
What are Magic Bands
Magic Bands are the bracelets given to guests that stay on-site at Disney World. Guests may also purchase them if they are staying off-site.
You will link your tickets, reservations, and FastPass to your band and will scan it when entering an attraction. Guests can also use their ticket to scan at FastPass entrances.
FastPass Rules at Disney World
If you are staying at a Walt Disney World Resort you can book your FastPass 60 days from check-in for your entire vacation. If you are staying off-site you can book 30 days from your each park day.
Reservations begin at 7:00am EST and can be made by logging into your My Disney Experience account.
The FastPass time reservation is an hour window. For example, a 4:00pm-5:00pm time means you can arrive any time within that time.
FastPass are hourly. You can’t reserve two in the same time period. So for example you could get a 9:00am-10:00am window and a 10:00am-11:00am window, but you couldn’t get a 9:00am-10:00am and a 9:30am-10:30am.
Disney FastPass can be made for 3 attractions at the same park. After the 3 are used you may make a 4th FastPass+ at another park or the same park using the My Disney Experience App.
You can continue making Fastpass reservations until the end of the day or until Fastpass reservations run out.
Guests can make FastPass reservations from the My Disney Experience App or sign-in from your computer. I suggest using a desktop for making your first reservations.
There is limited availability as the day goes on. Some FastPass will be gone or sold out.
FastPass are connected to your MagicBands. As you enter the Fastpass line you will scan your magic band. You can also use your ticket if you do not have a magic band.
You may arrive at a ride that you have a FastPass for and find a short wait. If the wait is 20 minutes or under, ride in the regular line and change your Fastpass while you wait.
How Do I Make FastPass Reservations
Guests will make FastPass reservations by logging in to their My Disney Experience account on the app or desktop. From there you can make reservations. Detailed steps are below.
Disney FastPass Ride Tiers
Magic Kingdom is currently the only park that does not have FastPass tiers. Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom give you tiers that you must pick attractions from.This means you cannot pick the top 3 attractions at any park. You pick one from group A and two from group B.
Magic Kingdom FastPass Attractions + Tiers
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Enchanted Tales with Belle
- Haunted Mansion
- “it’s a small world”
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Meet Ariel at Her Grotto
- Meet Cinderella and Elena at Princess Fairytale Hall
- Meet Mickey at Town Square Theater
- Meet Rapunzel and Tiana at Princess Fairytale Hall
- Meet Tinker Bell at Town Square Theater
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid
Read this post for full details on Magic Kingdom FastPass Tips.
Epcot FastPass Attractions + Tiers
Choose 1 from Tier 1:
- Test Track
- Frozen Ever After
Choose 2 from Tier 2:
- The Seas with Nemo and Friends
- Journey Into Imagination with Figment
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE
- Turtle Talk with Crush
- Spaceship Earth
Hollywood Studios FastPass Attractions + Tiers
Choose 1 from Tier 1:
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Choose 2 from Tier 2:
- Alien Swirling Saucer
- Toy Story Mania
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster
- Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Disney Jr. Live on Stage
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- MuppetVision 3D
- Star Tours
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Read this post for full details on Hollywood Studios FastPass tips.
Animal Kingdom FastPass Attractions + Tiers
Choose 1 from Tier 1:
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Na’vi River Journey
Choose 2 from Tier 2:
- Kali River Rapids
- Finding Nemo – The Musical
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
- Festival of the Lion King
- Primeval Whirl
- Rivers of Light
- Expedition Everest
- It’s Tough to be a Bug!
Read this for full details on Animal Kingdom FastPass tips.
Disney World FastPass Tips
FastPass Reservations Are Unlimited…Sort Of
Before you arrive at the park you will make up to 3 FastPass reservations. Once you use your 3 you can make a 4th, 5th, and so on. You will make one at a time.
After you enter your 3rd FastPass attractions you should log into the app and make the next FastPass reservation you would like. Then you will use the 4th, make the 5th. We continue this process until the end of the day or the FastPass reservations run out.
Always Make a FastPass for Popular Attractions
If we want to ride a popular attraction I always try to make a FastPass reservation for it as soon as my reservation window opens. This may mean I need to move our day around a bit but it is worth it to ride attractions that have very long lines.
Don’t Make a FastPass for Unpopular Attractions
There are some FastPass available for attractions that don’t really need it. Typically these are shows with preferred seating. If you would like preferred seating you can use your FastPass but I always recommend using one on popular attractions first.
You Can’t Make FastPass Reservations During Special Events
During the year there are seasonal events like Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party for Halloween and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party during the holidays. Guests can’t make FastPass reservations during the party hours.
Once You Make Your Reservations You Can Modify Them
Once you make your reservation you can modify it if your itinerary changes. This can be done at any time before you use it.
Everyone in Your Party Doesn’t Need to Make the Same FastPass Reservation
If you are planning on splitting up your group during your visit you can make FastPass reservations for different people in your group at the same time.
Keep Checking for Availability of Popular Attractions
At times when you try to make a FastPass reservation for a popular attraction it will be unavailable. Continue to check daily for changes in this because often times people modify their reservations and popular attractions become available.
Don’t Use Your FastPass if the Wait Time is Under 20 Minutes
If you arrive at an attraction and the wait time is under 20 minutes consider using the regular line and modifying your existing FastPass.
When Booking Your FastPass Consider Location of Attractions
When you are booking your FastPass reservations consider location of attractions and how long it will take you to walk from one attraction to another. If you have reservations on opposite ends of the park it could take a bit of time to get there and you could miss your window.
Book Your FastPass Reservations During the Busiest Time of Day
You want to use your FastPass to save you time during your day at Disney. Booking your FastPass between 10:30-4:00pm, when the park is busiest, will allow you to skip the long lines.
Steps to Make FastPass Reservations at Disney World
This may seem like a lot of steps but once you are set-up it is an easy process!
1. Create an Account at My Disney Experience
- Start on a desktop, not your mobile device. It is easier to set everything up. After set up you can use your mobile device to make changes. (Follow along on the screenshots below.)
- Go to the Walt Disney World website.
- In the right corner click on My Disney Experience -> Sign in (or Create an Account)
- You will start at the Welcome screen. From here you can do a few things:
- Add friends or family
- Link reservations to on-site resort
- Link theme park tickets- You must do this before you can make FastPass+ reservations. I highly recommend doing it as soon as you purchase tickets.
- Make dining reservations
- Make FastPass+ reservations
- Personalize Your MagicBands
- First you need to add all guests you will be making FastPass+ reservations for. Go to My Disney Experience -> My Family & Friends List
- Add a Guest -> Import through Resort Reservation
- Add all the guests that will be joining you. On our last visit it was my family and my parents. I was able to plan all 7 of our FastPass+ Reservations, Dining Reservations, and order MagicBands. This is really helpful when traveling in a large group.
How to Order Magic Bands
- To customize your MagicBands: My Disney Experience -> MagicBands
- Now that you have your Friends and Family added you can move on to creating your FastPass+ reservations.
- You do not need to customize your MagicBand before you make your FastPass+ reservation. MagicBands should be ordered within 30 days of arrival and will be shipped to your home.
2. Understanding the FastPass+ Tiers
- Once you have everything set up review the Fastpass+ Tiers and decide what attractions you would like to reserve.
- I suggest doing your research before your reservation window opens. Popular attractions will run out of FastPass tickets and it can go fast.
- Do your research and make a list of your top 5 attractions.
This is where I will tell you to stop and take a breath. It is a lot to take in and before you can actually start making reservations you need to learn a little more about the rides and attractions.
3. Do Your Research
- Go to the Walt Disney World website and start reading about the rides. Think about the ages of your kids and anyone else traveling with you and spend some time thinking about what would make everyone happy.
- If you are unsure what a ride might be like, search it on YouTube. You can watch most rides to get a feel for what to expect. Is is a dark ride? Wet ride? Is it scary? What are the height requirements?
- Some helpful resources:
4. Create a Flexible Itinerary
- Once you know what you want to ride. You need to think about the parks.
- What parks do you want to visit?
- How many days will you go to the parks?
- Do you need a park hopper?
Check out these detailed Disney World touring plans to help you get started.
- Disney World 7 Day Itinerary
- Magic Kingdom Itinerary for Families
- Epcot Touring Plan for Families
- Hollywood Studios Touring Plan for Families
- Animal Kingdom Itinerary for Families
With your list of parks, go back to the Walt Disney World website and look at the calendar for the days of your vacation.
Make a flexible itinerary of the days you will go to the parks. (Need an easy worksheet? Download my vacation planning guide.)
You are looking for hours the parks are open and if any park has Extra Magic Hours(Early Entry for On-site guests)
Write your park into your vacation planner and you are ready to book your FastPass+!
5. Make Your Disney FastPass Reservations
- Sign in using My Disney Experience.
- Click on FastPass+ Reservations
- Choose the day you would like to make your reservations.
- Choose the park you would like to make your reservations.
- You will not be able to make FastPass+ reservations if you do not have a linked ticket. Make sure you do this before your 60 or 30 day window.
- Here is an example of making a FastPass+ at Hollywood Studios
- Select all the guests that will need the FastPass. Everyone needs a FastPass that will go in line with you. That includes young children and seniors, even if they do not plan on riding.
- Click -> Next
- Choose the day and park you would like to make FastPass reservations for.
- Choose the attraction and the time for your FastPass+ reservations.
- If the given choices don’t work click View Detail and More Times.
- Remember to consider your dining reservations and time it takes to walk to each attraction when making your reservations.
- Once your reservations are made they will appear under your reservations page.
- You can also modify, change party, or cancel your reservation.
- If you decide to change parks or times you can usually change your FastPass+ reservations but keep in mind the most popular attractions do run out quickly.
FastPass+ Attractions that Typically Go Fast:
- Pandora Attractions at Animal Kingdom
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom
- Frozen Ever After at Epcot
- Toy Story Land Attractions at Hollywood Studios
- Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge Attractions
It can feel like a lot of work, but having a plan will save you so much time during your vacation at the parks. Read this for our Best Tips for First Time Visitors to Walt Disney World.
Have a Question? Leave a Comment!
Subscribe to my mailing list and receive a Vacation Planning Itinerary Worksheet to help you plan your next family vacation.
6 thoughts on “Disney FastPass Secrets, Tips, and Tiers for Your Disney World Vacation”
we are a famely with a kid on almost 5 years, fad and pregnent mom.
What Will be the Best to see and trye in Magic Kingdom?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Hi! How exciting!! I would focus on the shows and parades during your visit. There are a few rides that may be okay while pregnant but I would check with your doctor as well as the Disney website. Here is a list of rides Disney recommends you do NOT ride https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/#/expectant-mothers/ I hope you have a wonderful visit!
So, we’ve never been to Disney World… and even though this was wonderfully thorough and explained how to roll with the reservations and passes, now I’m a bit overwhelmed and feel like WDW is going to be a stressful trip. Can you not visit WDW without doing the pass thing? Is it just a waste of time if you just go with the flow?
Hi Rob! I know all of this information can be overwhelming at first but if you go step by step it isn’t too bad. Honestly I would never recommend visiting without FastPass. The lines for the most popular attractions can be hours and that is so stressful-especially with little ones.
It is never a waste of time to visit Walt Disney World-it is the most magical place on Earth! 🙂 Depending on the season of your visit you may not have to do as much planning. The low seasons have low crowds and you can often ride many attractions.
I hear a lot of first time visitors become stressed if they just show up at the parks because they don’t have a plan. I have helped many people plan their vacations and pick out their FastPass and it is a relief to have it all taken care of before the vacation starts. It honestly make for a much more relaxed vacation at Walt Disney World. I would be happy to help you if you are planning a trip. I promise it is worth a visit! Reach out if I can help and thanks for reading!
I pinned this for whenever we finally get back to disney! Last time I had no idea what to do and def did not use FP to my advantage!
Thank you! It will definitely help to have a plan for your next visit!
Comments are closed.