With all of today’s distractions, it is so important to prioritize quality family time. Today we are sharing our favorite and fun family time ideas to help you reconnect as a family this weekend.
We are in need of some serious quality family time lately. When we are travelling we always have a great time and it feels so good to be connected. Sadly we can’t travel year round. I needed to brainstorm family time activities we could do year round.
With school and work we end up getting into a routine and life becomes busy. Our weekends are full of chores and obligations. Unless we plan something, we end up sitting around doing house chores or playing on electronics.
The idea of doing new things and discovering new things is good for us as a family but it is also good for me. I feel like it is easy to get into a family rut of doing the same thing every weekend. This is a good way to keep life new and exciting.
When we lived in Pittsburgh we would get out every weekend and discover something new. Maybe it was the new city or the lack of responsibility but we were always doing something. We were having adventures.
I like the idea of planning something outside every weekend but I knew that our weather would prevent us from being outside every weekend so I focused on ideas for family activities that would connect us, inside or out.
I wanted to make a list of something we could do every weekend that took minimal planning and made it easy for us to spend quality family time together.
Fun Family Time Ideas to Start this Weekend
1. Discover a new breakfast place.
2. Watch the sunset.
3. Walk on the beach.
4. Take a nature hike.
5. Walk around your neighborhood and play I Spy.
6. Visit a National Park.
7. Have a backyard picnic.
8. Go see a movie.
9. Go roller skating.
10. Go ice skating.
11. Visit your local library.
12. Visit your local Science Center.
13. Plan a Free Day.
14. Drive to the next town over and discover a new restaurant.
15. Visit the Zoo.
16. Visit your local animal shelter and donate old blankets.
17. Go on vacation.
18. Visit a new place you have never visited.
19. Listen to fun music and go for a drive.
20. Google your city and top ten things to do and schedule them on your calendar.
21. Plan an overnight in your own town. Enjoy the pool and act like a tourist.
22. Surprise out of town relatives with a visit.
23. Do something you always wanted to do.
24. Visit your local Children’s museum.
25. Visit a Public market.
26. Visit a theme park.
27. Go see a waterfall.
28. Paint a picture together.
29. Go to a waterpark.
30. Have a water balloon toss.
31. Discover a new playground.
32. Play board games.
33. Plan an afternoon movie day.
34. Bake cookies.
35. Attend a sports event.
36. Go out to eat and try a new cuisine.
37. Read a book together.
38. Visit a Historical Site.
39. Go bowling.
40. Have friends over for a dinner party.
41. Participate in a 5k together.
42. Build your town in Legos.
43. Dress up and go out to dinner. (or lunch.)
44. Plan a Mystery Day.
45. Let the kids pick the activity.
46. Go apple picking or any fruit/vegetable.
47. Visit your local track and have your own Olympics.
48. Make Tie-Dye shirts.
49. Visit your local Art Museum.
50. Write and illustrate a story together.
51. Watch the sunrise.
52. Go out for ice cream.
I hope you are inspired to get out there. It may seem odd to schedule in family time but I promise you will not regret it. It will be an activity that you will look forward and help you and your family connect before the busy week ahead.
Looking for more family fun inspiration? Subscribe to my mailing list and receive all the latest posts.
Latest Posts from Five for the Road
- 12 Fun Things to Do in the Finger Lakes in Winter
- Things to Do in Pigeon Forge with Kids (4 Day Pigeon Forge Itinerary)
- Travel Moments from 2020 | A Look Back at our Family Adventures
- Best Family Weekend Getaways Near Rochester, NY | Northeast Weekend Getaways
- Epcot vs. Magic Kingdom: Which Disney Park is Best?